- May 2017
- The River Archetype: Flowing and Connecting Life
"At first, perhaps, a tiny streamlet, caused by the overflowing of the waters of a spring ...
- Mar 2017
- 2017 Philadelphia Flower Show: Celebrating Holland
Sunday I attended the 2017 Philadelphia Flower Show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. ...
- Jan 2017
- Simple Meditation Practice: God in the Familiar
This is a guest post by R. Glenn Guillory A Simple Meditation Practice Every day I am i ...
- Dec 2016
- Evolving Faith and Doubt: One Seeker's View
This is a guest post by R. Glenn Guillory Standard Faith The accepted definition of fait ...
- Faith Theme: What do we believe and why?
Faith Theme Belief in something without proof. A feeling that things will work out, no ma ...
- December Affirmations: Lights for the Descent into Winter
December contains the shortest day of the year, it also contains the celebration that is s ...
- Nov 2016
- Respect: Choosing to build relationships
Respect is "recognizing that how you interact with another person will affect your relatio ...
- Tree of Life Spirit Tool: your influences and aspirations
Trees are great metaphors for spiritual growth. I like to use the tree of life idea to vis ...
- Elder Wisdom: finding advice and guidance from the past
I often wish I could talk to the people who influenced me. My grandmother knew me better t ...
- Emotional Calendar: how the cycle of the year affects you
Sharp, John M.D. The Emotional Calendar: understanding seasonal influences and milestone ...
- Empathy: try to walk in another's shoes
Chickens are a symbol of empathy because they show signs of feeling distress when their c ...
- Nature's Connections: a photo meditation
When I am make a sensory memory with a place, I feel connected to it. I remember the image ...
- Community Affirmations: Encouragement for Building
We all have the desire to be part of a community. This search for connection is universa ...
- Harmony: looking for areas of agreement
Harmony: the Parts and the Whole Harmony is a combination of parts or other related thi ...
- Why Vote: duty, apathy and my civic evolution
Political Apathy by Example When I was growing up, most of the adults around me seemed bi ...
- Ending Friendships: When is it time to give up?
Taking Stock of Your Friendships If only we had unlimited numbers of friendships and all ...
- unity: spiritually, everything is one
Unity Defined Unity is the state of being one in number. Something is unified when it is ...
- Connections Theme: What do we all have in common?
Connections Theme Connections are vital to life. We must find a way to connect to nature, ...
- November Affirmations: 12 transformational resolves
November brings a transition from autumn to winter; nature is preparing to rest. Likewis ...
- Oct 2016
- Spirituality: Connecting with the world begins with yourself
What is Spirituality? Spirituality is the exploration of how we as individuals fit into t ...
- Spiritual Themes List: Explore your inner life
Using Spiritual Themes: The realm of spirituality and beliefs is such a large, nebulous f ...
- Wasting Time: learning to forgive myself
At 21, I was full of idealism and ideas. My mind was full of story ideas and projects of a ...
- October Affirmations: 15 connections with autumn energy
In the northern hemisphere, autumn is getting underway, and there is a calming down of t ...
- Sep 2016
- September Affirmations: 14 ways to refocus
September contains the start of autumn in the northern hemisphere (and the beginning of s ...
- Aug 2016
- August Affirmations: 12 calls to the spirit
While August is a hot month that conjures up fun and vacations, it is also the dwindling ...
- Jul 2016
- July Affirmations:13 rays of summer sun-soul
July is sunny, in many northern hemisphere locations it is the warmest month of the year ...
- Jun 2016
- June Affirmations: 15 transitions to summer
Symbolically igniting the "fire of the year" (summer), celebrated on the summer solstice ...
- May 2016
- May Affirmations: 17 invitations to soar
The growing season has gotten started, animals are active, hopefully the weather isn't t ...
- Apr 2016
- April Affirmations: 20 ways to get growing
April is when the growing season really seems to get going. It is a month that symbolize ...
- Mar 2016
The silence, the quiet here has been wonderful. I find myself craving the silence, the sli ...
- Ansel Adams Tribute at Philly Flower Show
My favorite exhibit at the 2016 Philadelphia Flower Show was in tribute to famed environme ...
- 2016 Philadelphia Flower Show
Yesterday I attended the 2016 Philadelphia Flower Show. The theme of this year's show is ...
- Goal Oriented People
Everyone is driven by something, but goal oriented people seem to have a super-charged dri ...
- Idea Focused People
Are you idea focused? Someone who loves thinking things through, exploring all options and ...
- Spirit Lead People
Spirit lead people believe, it is an overwhelming need. They can put their faith in a high ...
- People Centered People
The caretakers, healers and keepers of the hearth keep us together, keep things running an ...
- Artistic Driven People
Artistic driven people feel called toward an artistic pursuit and have a unique path in th ...
- March Affirmations: 19 reminders to wake up
March is the transition from winter to spring; traditionally it marked the beginning of a ...
- Feb 2016
Hope is: expectation, anticipation, looking, aspiring, yearning, relying, depending, recko ...
Friendship is: sympathy, favored, helper, patron, supporter, goodwill, intimacy, special, ...
- Love Meditation: thoughts on love
Love is: adoration, worship, yearning, affection, tenderness, beloved, dear, appreciation, ...
- Personal Values: What matters most in life?
This is a personal question, and I think there is no one right answer as to what constitut ...
- Nearest thing: reading as spiritual practice
One of the most thrilling things as a serious reader is to come across a work, fiction or ...
- Connections are everywhere: the universal language
I've been doing a great deal of thinking/meditating on how we are all connected. The most ...
Attachment is: adherence, faithful, loyal, devout, staunch, steadfast, constant, pious, ad ...
- Jan 2016
- Writer's Crush: Virginia Woolf
Probably the greatest writer's crush I have ever had on anyone has been on Virginia Woolf. ...
- 23" of Snow!
In the big snow storm yesterday, I got 23" at my house. It was beautiful, until I realized ...
- I longed for a dog: Where the Red Fern Grows
"I suppose there's a time in practically every young boy's life when he's affected by that ...
- 15 Life Lessons Learned in St. Louis
I spent most of twenties living in St. Louis. It was a great time of discovery about mysel ...
- Spiritual Selfie
People are so taken with selfies, images of ourselves. I find the whole thing kind of amus ...
- Falling Asleep
I don't remember dreading bedtime as a child, although if you asked my mother she would te ...
Reliability is: dependable, secure, tried, tried & true, trustworthy, safe, compelling ...
- I wanted to be a Farmer Boy
As a New Year's project, I decided to identify and reread the novels that have had the big ...
- Beginning Doubt
Creative pursuits of all kinds can be fragile. People who do creative things inevitably do ...
- January Valley Drive
Winter scenery has special appeal for me because the starkness shows interesting structure ...
- Informal Meditation
For a long time I thought of meditation as a formal thing: sitting with legs crossed in a ...
- Dec 2015
Belief is: faith, credence, credit, assurance, doctrine, conviction, acquiescence, dogma, ...
Passion is: desire, affliction, appetite, craving, itch, agony, affection, sentiment, fren ...
- What I Learned from Jury Duty
Recently I was called for jury duty. At first I thought of it as a mild annoyance, and hel ...
- Nov 2015
Tolerance is: fortitude, gut, grit, strength, patience, forbearance, clemency, stamina, en ...
Contentment is: satisfaction, delight, gratification, grace, peaceful, appeased, delighted ...
Perseverance is: enduring, lasting, contrived, dogged, insistent, persisting, abiding, ste ...
- Oct 2015
- Shifting Perspective: Autumn Thoughts
My life is set up between two poles: the city, with social engagements, appointments of va ...
- Walking: River Route
I love early morning walks in the city, before things get too busy. One of my favorite rou ...
- Embrace the Moment
I woke up unusually early this morning with a persistent thought running through my mind: ...
- Apr 2015
- Spring at Last
First real signs of spring in the garden. ...
- Mar 2015
- 2015 Philly Flower Show: Movie Fantasy
I attended the Philadelphia Flower Show on March 6, 2015. This year's theme was about the ...
- Oct 2014
- The ultimate obsession: aging well
Olga Kotelko, a world class track athlete into her 90s Inspirational fitness stories com ...
Anger is: provocation, human, release, riled, fury, annoyance, healthy, indignant, creati ...
- Balance Pleasure & Structure? Epicureanism
Epicureanism is a ubiquitous term, and yet I include myself in the presumable majority wit ...
- Thyroid Cancer Experience
My Thyroid Cancer Experience Early this year I noticed a lump in my neck while shaving; i ...
- Sep 2014
- The Courage to Be Radically Good: Faith Lost
Faith Lost, a memoir by Amie Sexton A young man and woman, both raised in good, solid Ch ...
- Jul 2014
Awareness is: alertness, appreciation, attention, consciousness, consideration, insight, k ...
- May 2014
- Benches of Williamsburg
While traveling from Pennsylvania to North Carolina recently, I stopped at Williamsburg, V ...
- Mar 2014
- Dreaming of the Farm: A Farm Dies Once a Year
I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta in the 1980s in a three-bedroom, two-bath ranch house ...
- 2014 Philly Flower Show: Art and Flowers
I attended the Philadelphia Flower Show on March 3. This year the show combined art and fl ...
- Sep 2011
- Gratz Fair 2011: the joys of rural America
Almost a year ago I moved to a house in a small town in Central Pennsylvania, Gratz, PA. L ...
- Visionary Principles: what is important to my success
Almost fifteen years of professional experience as a self-employed person has helped me id ...
- Brian's Basics: Master Rules for all Projects
Master Rules For All Projects 1. Be Yourself Don’t attempt to try to be someone or somet ...
- Communication Essentials: 12 outlets for your ideas
Communication Essentials to get your ideas out in the world purpose. mission statement. ...
- Jul 2011
- Writer's Crush: Iris Murdoch
"Dora Greenfield left her husband because she was afraid of him. She decided six months la ...
- Second Century Fiction: Transformations
Apuleius. Metamorphoses:The Transformations of Lucius, aka The Golden Ass. Robert Graves, ...
- Writer's Crush: Ann Radcliffe
Ann Radcliffe "Osbert, for greater security, was conveyed from the tower into a more cent ...
- First Century Fiction: Matter-of-Factness
Petronius wrote The Satyricon in Latin during the first century A.D., and it is one of onl ...
- Jun 2011
- Journal of the Plague Year
Defoe, Daniel. A Journal of the Plague Year (1722). A novel disguised as an account of a ...
- Rainbow Friday Night
Taken from my patio Friday evening. ...
- Robinson Crusoe: Masterful Narrative Movement
Defoe, Daniel. Robinson Crusoe (1719). This story has incredible use of narrative movemen ...
- Champion Spelling Words: 2011 National Spelling Bee
This past week the Scripps National Spelling Bee featured 275 spellers from age 8 to 15, s ...
- Jun 2010
- Bay Psalm Book: Simplicity in Faith
The Bay Psalm Book was the first book printed in the New World, in 1640. Its working of th ...
- May 2010
- Remembering War Dead: Best Memorial Poems
While Americans observe Memorial Day today, a holiday commemorating U.S. men and women who ...
- The Effort to Improve Our Grammar
I have always felt a bit uncomfortable around people who like to point out the mistakes of ...
- Writer's Crush: Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson "A man is a god in ruins. When men are innocent, life shall be longe ...
- Writer's Crush: Celestine Sibley
Celestine Sibley "When I saw him heading for my office, looking a little like a dressed-u ...
- Writing: Getting Back to Flow
" At forty I'm beginning to learn the mechanism of my own brain-- how to get the greatest ...
- A Ticket to the Circus: a late 20th century woman
Mailer, Norris C. (2010). A Ticket to the Circus. New York: Random House. ISBN: 978-1-4000 ...
- Writing for Legacy
"I would like to believe when I die that I have given myself away like a tree that sows se ...
- Keeping Your Focus:the Happiness Project
Rubin, Gretchen (2009). The Happiness Project. New York: Harper. ISBN: 9780061583254 I se ...
- Fictional Character Development
Fiction writing of all types demands fully realized characters. The most typical advice is ...
- Creating a Character History
Character History First Name Middle Last Birthdate Birth Place: Current Plac ...
- You Are Your Limitations
"An artists' limits are quite as important as his powers. They are definite assets, not a ...
- Mar 2010
- Writing Crush: Gloria Steinem
"This is no simple reform. It really is a revolution. Sex and race, because they are easy, ...
- Writing to a Greater Purpose
Pipher, Mary. (2006). Writing to Change the World. New York: Berkley. ISBN: 978-1-59448-25 ...
- Writer's Crush: John Grogan
"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means not ...
- Writer's Crush: Jack Kerouac
"And for just a moment I had reached the point of ecstasy that I always wanted to reach, w ...
- Writer's Crush: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"It was as if God had decided to put to the test every capacity for surprise and was keepi ...
- Feb 2010
- The Mechanics of the Writing Process
Atchity, Kenneth. (1995). A Writer's Time. New York: Norton. ISBN: 0-393-03693-6 A good t ...
- Writer's Crush: Anthony Burgess
" It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on ...
- Writer's Crush: Carson McCullers
"This was her, Mick Kelly, walking in the daytime and by herself at night. In the hot sun ...
- Watching Others Cook
Collins, Kathleen. (2009). Watching What We Eat: the evolution of television cooking shows ...
- Garden Dreams of Philadelphia
White, Sharon. (2008). Vanished Gardens: Finding Nature in Philadelphia. Athens, GA: Unive ...
- Putting Your Life On a Green Diet
Uliano, Sophie. (2009). The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green. New York: D ...
- Jan 2010
- House For Sale
Moving out of a house is tiring, emotional and an odd experience of emotionally detaching ...
- Book Mania: LibraryThing
OBSESSED currently with LibraryThing. It is an online book cataloging service with social ...
- Oct 2009
- Writer's Best Friend, Reader's Best Friend
Koontz, Dean (2009). A Big Little Life: a memoir of a joyful dog. New York: Hyperion. ISBN ...
- Writing as an anti-depression strategy
Schaefer, Elizabeth Maynard. (2008). Writing Through the Darkness: easing your depression ...
- Connected. A greener life, rural or not
Dickson Wright, Clarissa & Scott, Johnny. (2005). A Greener Life: the modern country c ...
- Do you eat food?
Pollan, Michael. (2008). In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto. New York: Penguin. ISB ...
- Creative Scarecrows at Morris Arboretum
One of the most interesting surprises at the Arboretum was a display they called the "Scar ...
- Perfect Fall Day at Morris Arboretum, Philadelphia
Visited the Morris Arboretum today. A beautiful 92 acre Victorian garden with amazing tree ...
- Sep 2009
- Brian's Red Beans and Rice
Recipe: Red Beans and Rice Ingredients 1 pound (2 cups) dried red kidney beans or s ...
- Aug 2009
- Day the Falls Stood Still: A Test of Female Faith and Streng ...
Buchanan, Cathy Marie. (2009). The Day the Falls Stood Still. New York: Voice/Hyperion. IS ...
- Joy, a haiku
Like gentle flower Unfurling in the morning, Slowly waits the sun. ...
- 2007 Pulitzer: The Road is realistic rendition of a common n ...
McCarthy, Cormac.(2006). The Road. New York: Knopf. 2007 Pulitzer Prize Winner for Fic ...
- Brian's Chicken Salad
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts Olive oil Salt and Pepper ½ cup mayonnaise ¼ cup ...
- The Piano Teacher Shows Reality of War, Human Nature
Lee, Janice, Y.K. (2009). The Piano Teacher: a novel. Viking Adult. ISBN: 9780670020485 ...
- Jul 2009
- 2009 Pulitzer: Olive Kitteridge a study in loneliness and hu ...
Strout, Elizabeth (2008). Olive Kitteridge: Fiction. New York: Random House. ISBN: 9781 ...
- All the Living a Haunting, Melancholy Novel
Morgan, C.E. (2009). All the Living, a novel. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN: 9 ...
- Saturday at a Phillies Game
Philliles Won 14-6 Against St. Louis Cardinals. It was Christmas in July, so lots of Chr ...
- Rifling Paradise, Jem Poster
Poster, Jem (2009). Rifling Paradise. New York: Overlook Press This novel takes Victori ...
- My Mission Statement
I am at my best when creative, organizing, contributing, smiling, curious. ...
- Unpretentious Cookbook that is Healthy and Elegant
Valenti, Tom (with Friedman, Andrew). (2009). You Don't Have to Be Diabetic to Love This C ...
- Going Green is More Complex Than We'd Like to Think
Goleman, Daniel (2009). Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What we ...
- At the Crossroads, I Found the Perfect Little Book
Patchett, Ann (2008). What Now? New York: Harper Collins. By the time we reach adulthood, ...
- Rob Thomas Video, "Give Me the Meltdown"
Give Me The Meltdown ...
- Ted Turner: An Influence I Never Realized
Turner, Ted (with Bill Burke). (2008). Call Me Ted. New York: Grand Central Publishing. ...
- Brian's Brunswick Stew, for the Fourth
Brian’s Brunswick Stew Ingredients: 4 chicken drumsticks 1 skinless, boneless ...
- Jun 2009
- Writer's Crush: Charlotte Perkins Gillman
"It is dull enough to confuse the eye in following, pronounced enough to constantly irrita ...
- All Passion Spent: Novel from 1931 timely for me
Sackville-West, Vita. (1931). All Passion Spent. It is inescapable that this ...
- Michael's Shadow
Michael Jackson died today. I am reminded of finding out that he had been severely burned ...
- Food and Travel? An Adventure Book Even I Can Love
Majumdar, Simon (2009). Eat my globe: one year to go everywhere and eat everything. New Yo ...
- Cradlesong, Amazing New Rob Thomas album
I'm not a big follower of popular music, but somehow Rob Thomas's voice and lyrics speaks ...
- Magic "Father's Day" Cactus
Our "Christmas Cactus" has decided to bloom this week. Um, Happy Father's Day, Dad. ...
- Berlioz's Requiem a great triumph at Verizon Hall
The June 18 performance of the Requiem by Hector Berlioz was perhaps the best performance ...
- Proofreading Tips
While it is advisable for everyone to have someone else proofread his or her work, sometim ...
- Curious About Twitter
The cover article of the June 15, 2009 issue of Time magazine by Steven Johnson discusses ...
- Fresh, Stunning Novel by Mark Budman: My Life At First Try
Budman, Mark, (2008). My Life at First Try: a Novel. Washington: Counterpoint. At firs ...
- Remembering Elton
My dog Elton died last year on June 13. We honor the anniversaries of people's deaths, but ...
- May 2009
- The Stand-up Linguist Comedian
Blount, R., (2008). Alphabet Juice: the energies, gists, and spirits of letters, words, an ...
- 2009 Scripps National Spelling Bee Words
Winning word from the 2009 National Spelling Bee: Laodicean (adj. indifferent or lukewarm ...
- Letters of Vita Sackville-West to Virginia Woolf
A pleasant discovery, having read everything by Virginia Woolf, to get more insight into h ...
- Burn This Book, thought provoking book about censorship
Morrison, T., (2009). Burn This Book. City: HarperStudio. Anyone who has read even one ...
- Style Statement
Either/Or Choices from p. 91 of the Book: Style Statement: live by your own design (2008) ...
- Apr 2009
- Gardens of Colonial Williamsburg in April
Our trip to Colonial Williamsburg in April 2009 was my second, but the gardens struck me ...
- Dec 2008
- Frozen Haiku
Cold December day Starlings pecking street gutter, fast food bag blows by.
- Arrival of the Holiday Spirit
The holiday spirit doesn't just automatically appear on the same schedule for me each year ...
- Oct 2008
- Rediscovering a Love of Poetry
I found this book in the library called The 100 Best Poems of All Time, edited by Leslie P ...
- Sep 2008
- Flash of Genius More Like Splash of Rain
movie poster, Flash of Genius I was excited to go see the preview of Flash of Ge ...
- Apr 2008
- Celeb Detox
I just read Rosie O'Donnell's book Celebrity Detox. As with her other book, Finding Me, it ...
- Oct 2007
- Classical Music Rogues
Living in Center City Philadelphia brings with it a lot of perks. I can do almost anything ...
- Elizabeth and the Golden Age
I have always thought the defeat of the Spanish Armada to be one of the best stories of hi ...
- Renoir Landscapes
Today I went to the Philadelphia Art Museum to see the Renoir Landscapes exhibit as a memb ...
- Aug 2007
- The Writing Graveyard
One of my new year's resolutions for 2007 was to reconnect to my longstanding desire to wr ...
- Feb 2007
- Advice from James Michener
Stephen J. May's biography of writer James Michener, Michener: A Writer's Journey (2005). ...
- Aug 2006
- 1923 Pulitzer: One of Ours one of most disturbing war accoun ...
Cather, Willa (1922). One of Ours. Another novel that shows the "American Story" of the ...
- 1918 Pulitzer: His Family, First Pulitzer Novel tells archet ...
Poole, Ernest (1917). His Family. Won first Pulitzer Prize for Novel in 1918. I was ...
- 1925 Pulitzer: So Big, the big American story
So Big, Edna Ferber (1924) 1925 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction I am beginning to marvel at h ...
- 1922 Pulitzer: Alice Adams, thinking about the American midd ...
Tarkington, Booth (1921). Alice Adams. 1922 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. Left with the ...
- 1928 Pulitzer: Bridge of San Luis Rey
The Bridge of San Luis Rey, Thornton Wilder Winner of the 1928 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction ...
- 1929 Pulitzer: Scarlet Sister Mary
Scarlet Sister Mary by Julia Peterkin spoke to me. I related to Mary personally; that was ...
- 1919 Pulitzer: Magnificient Ambersons, Melodramatic Tragic N ...
The Magnificient Ambersons by Booth Tarkington. Winner of the 1919 Pulitzer Prize for Lite ...