So often January can seem like a time of waiting. Those of us who live in climates with harsh winter weather spend more time indoors. The festive holiday season has passed,and with the visits with friends and loved ones over and the decorations down, life can seem plain. It is easy to give in to loneliness at this time, missing people places and events from the past. So often we tell ourselves and each other we should distract ourselves from these down feelings, but the truth is that this time of year it is part of the natural cycle to pay attention to our inner life.
Take a step back form the hustle of the external world in whatever form you can. Deal with the losses and changes in your life, both the good and bad ones. Nature and society have traditionally provided us with a respite, and we should take advantage of this time to recharge and heal.
Focus Questions for January
- How much of your life is built around what you feel you should do, and how much around the things you feel are of greater meaning?
- What is the source of continuity in your life? How do family traditions, friendships and personal rituals shape you?
- What form will your spiritual fast take over the winter?
My Favorite January Affirmations:
- I am open, honest, and have an outlet to be my uninhibited true self.
- Outdoor exercise makes me thrive. Fresh air makes me tolerant of life’s bothers.
- I enjoy defying the expectations of others.
- I see that every day I am getting better and better.
- The most vivid dreams are the ones that come true.
- My life is built on a solid foundation; I know who I am. I am right where I need to be.
- Change can simplify life, dissolve things and free our energy. I respectfully observe the changes in my life.
- I seek sunlight and laughter so the rain and snow do not bother me.
- Life is full of many moods and stages, and all are important, beneficial and temporary.
- I embrace spending time alone. I like seeing my real self in these moments.
- Music stirs my soul, revives my passions and makes any situation bright.
- If a dream is worth pursuing, I find a way to go for it.
- I admire those who have succeeded before me, and I learn from them.
- My inner life of meditation gives me the disciplined strength to get through anything.
- I have a balanced relationship with competition.
- I can control my reactions and attitudes even when I cannot control external events.
- New doors will open. I have faith in the future.