We naturally think about the meaning of our life, and it is a good idea to think about your life’s purpose.These questions are for meditation in this sense of “to think about, ponder, contemplate.” They are not questions with immediate, easy answers. But they are worth thinking about. Let me know how you use them, and what kind of answers you come up with. You could just sit and think about these things, write them down, draw a picture or a song or process them in any way you feel like.
What is Important?
- Why do we put off things that are unavoidable and important?
- What three questions do you wish you knew the answers to?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- How has what you think is important changed over the course of your life?
- How much of what you think is important is the same as what was important to your family, your community, your faith community, and how much came from within yourself?
Meaning of Your Life
- Why do you matter?
- Do you know your life’s purpose? Was it difficult for you to identify or accept this purpose?
- What motivates you to go to work or school each day? Do you wish you could answer that question differently?
- What do you know so well and with so much passion that you could teach it to others?
- What makes you special?
- When do you feel most alive?
Your Choices and Your Purpose
- Are you more worried about doing things right. or doing the right things?
- How do you spend your time? Does that match with your goals? your stated values?
- Have you ever made a decision you later regretted? How did that change your future decisions?
- What choices have you made that have shaped, for better or worse, the course of your life? Have you accepted the consequences? If not, is there a way to change the situation?
Purpose of Negative Things
- What is the purpose of pain and suffering? Does any good come from it?
- What negative events or people in your life have turned out to be valuable lessons for you?
- Do you think your life experiences have been more positive or negative than other people? What have you done to try to make things more positive for others?
Your Place in the World
- If you could choose one thing to change about the world, what would it be?
- What impact do you make on the world?
- How would the world be different if you weren’t in it?
- If the barriers hat stop you were removed, how would you make a difference in the world?